Hagley Road to Ladywood, "a peek into media culture & society"

July 20, 2008

"A soft spot in my heart"

I'm 34 years old now, and will be attending the Cure show in Dallas in June. That being said, I got into the Cure in 1986. A friend of mine, Shyla, had an older brother who was in college at the time. He was into punk and new wave bands. He would make tapes of bands that he liked for Shyla. Echo & the Bunnymen, Smiths, Siouxsie and of course The Cure. Shyla and I would listen to his tapes over and over. The first Cure song that really caught my attention was Charlotte Sometimes. I bought Standing on a Beach first, quickly followed by Faith.

By the end of 1987 I had all the Cure albums including the newly released Kiss Me album. Understand that the Cure were pretty unknown in America at the time. Of course New York and Los Angeles had a much bigger Cure following than the rest of the U.S. I "adopted the Cure/deathrock/goth" look soon after getting into The Cure. And yes, I got picked on a lot! That was a long time ago, and I don't walk around dressed all in black and make up anymore, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Cure. I've met Robert 3 times and seen the Cure 13 times. I rarely listen to them anymore, but when the weather gets cold and the sky is grey, I always pop in 17 Seconds or Disintegration. I will forever love them, even if I don't keep up with the new stuff.
(From: Trey, Texas, US)

No comments: