Hagley Road to Ladywood, "a peek into media culture & society"

July 21, 2008

"...so different from everything that was going on..."

I first got into The Cure in 6th Grade, around age 11 or 12, which was 19 years ago around 1989. My older sister had the first few records and I borrowed Boys Don't Cry from her because I was looking for something to do. I remember thinking that this music sounded so different from everything that was going on back then. I just got sucked in. Seeing as I didn't even have a job yet it took a while to buy all of their records so I would go to the library and rent the tapes until I could afford to buy more.

I loved that each of their records sounded so different and I just became more and more intrigued, admiring their diversity. I couldn't believe when I actually saw the band members, they were so strange that they were cool and I loved their sense of humor in their videos. I think my friends thought I was crazy for being so passionate about this band but I really felt the connection throughout my teenage years to their music and lyrics.

I do wish they were a little more up on their technical stuff and update their website a bit more. I have to search other cure fan sites to get the latest info sometimes. I wish there were more interactive things for the fans. I also wish it didn't cost so much to get a good seat at their concert! Other than that, they will forever be my favorite band.

(From: Michelle Galinis, Middleton, WI, USA)

No comments: