Hagley Road to Ladywood, "a peek into media culture & society"

July 20, 2008

"Just Like Heaven"

I'm 32 years old and I've been into The Cure since I was 15. I remember the very first time I ever heard a Cure song - My high school boyfriend and I were at the local Wendy's and he asked me to listen to Just Like Heaven. I recall not being entirely thrilled with it, but he insisted I borrow Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me. I agreed to give it a chance and took it home. It quickly grew on me and in no time I was completely obsessed with this brilliant band. My boyfriend made a few copies of his cassettes while I slowly built my own collection by asking all my relatives to buy me nothing but Cure albums for Christmas and my birthday.

I still remember the thrill of getting a new-to-me album and the shivers I'd get from a particularly engaging song (such as Mixed Up's version of A Forest). I currently own all their albums (on cd now, of course), as well as some bootlegs and collectible vinyl, and I've seen them four times in concert so far (once at Wembley Arena in England which was a dream come true). Even after all these years they are my #1 favorite band and I can't foresee that ever changing. That being said, I'm not a blind fan - I feel some of their albums are weak (Wild Mood Swings) while others are quite solid (Faith). I will always have a soft spot for their earlier work, although I'm really looking forward to their new album as well as seeing them live next month in Chicago.

(From: Nicole, USA)

No comments: